How to make a complaint
Unhappy about something? Please give us the opportunity to put it right.
When you contact us, we will manage your complaint and do all we can to resolve it quickly.
Step 1: Let us know what’s wrong
Get in touch with our Customer Services Team to give us the opportunity to put it right.
When complete, our response to any complaint about our service to you, our products or failure to meet the required standards in our sales and marketing will include an apology, explanation, remedial/corrective action we’ve taken and/or financial compensation in appropriate circumstances. We’ll also let you know what we have done to put things right.
Call: 0800 316 9328* (select option 1) from a landline or mobile, or 0800 413 016* from a minicom/textphone
or write to: Complaints Team, npower, PO Box 177, Houghton-le-Spring, DH4 9AQ
Step 2: What happens next
Many issues can be resolved straight away, if its going to take any longer we’ll pass your complaint to one of our specialist teams. We aim to resolve most complex complaints within 28 working days and we’ll keep you updated on progress throughout.
Step 3: If you’re still unhappy?
If you remain unhappy or we haven’t been able to resolve your complaint, our Specialist Complaints Team will refer your complaint to our Customer Relations Team for review.
We will review all the actions we’ve taken to resolve your complaint. We’ll then contact you to discuss our final position. You can contact our Customer Relations Team using the details below.
Call: 0800 316 9328* (select option 2) from a landline or mobile, or 0800 413 016* from a minicom/textphone
or write to: Escalated Complaints Team, npower, PO Box 177, Houghton-le-Spring, DH4 9AQ
Ombudsman Service: Energy
If you’ve received our Final Position letter or we haven’t been able to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks, you have the right to take your complaint to Ombudsman Services: Energy. They offer a free and impartial service to gas and electricity consumers. Following an investigation, the Ombudsman can recommend ways to resolve the problem which you can either accept or reject. If you accept their decision, we will then follow their recommendation.
The types of resolution include an apology, explanation, corrective action and financial compensation in appropriate circumstances.
Please note the Ombudsman Services: Energy will not consider your case unless you have followed our complaints process.
You can contact them:
Call: 0330 440 1624* (textphone 0330 440 1600*)
Write: Ombudsman Services: Energy, PO Box 966, Warrington WA4 9DF
The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues and can be contacted at any stage during your complaint.
Or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline 03454 04 05 06* (textphone 18001 03454 04 05 06*). And if you’d like to better understand your rights as an energy consumer, you can read the ‘Know your rights’ leaflet. This has been produced independently by Consumer Futures in partnership Citizens Advice and Citizens Advice Scotland. Visit: npower.com/knowyourrights
Email our director
As one of our customers you are very important to us. We know we don’t always get it right at times when you need us the most, and our team are working hard to improve the service we deliver. If you have feedback on the way that your complaint has been handled, our Customer Services Director, Chris Thewlis, would very much like to hear from you.
Please feel free to email him and his team at:
Help things to go smoothly by doing the following:
- It’s important that you continue to pay for your energy use and contact us immediately if you don’t agree with the amount on your bill.
- Provide meter readings when requested so that you pay the right amount for the energy you use. That way you’ll avoid estimated bills which can lead to a build-up of credit or debit. The easiest way to provide your meter readings is through your online account or at npower.com/meterread If your meter is being read by one of our representatives, allow them reasonable access if it is needed.
- If you have a prepayment meter, top up regularly so that your prepayment meter remains in credit. Even in the summer months when you might not use much energy, a standing charge still applies.
- If you’re finding it difficult to pay your energy bill, please get in touch. There are various ways we can help, such as agreeing for your bill to be paid in manageable instalments, or by having a prepayment meter fitted, if it is safe and reasonably practicable to do so.
- If you’re moving and we’re the supplier of your current or new home, let us know.
- If you think your meter has developed a fault or if you can smell gas, get in touch immediately. The National Grid emergency number is 0800 111 999*.
- In the event of a power cut, check to see if its just you, if its your neighbours too you can contact your local network operator by calling 105.
- Do you think you may need extra help or support? Our Priority Services may be able to help to support your communication, safety and access needs. If you’re eligible you can choose to join our Priority Service Register free of charge. We want to provide the right support where it’s needed for you and your household when it comes to your energy account. You can find out more and register by visiting our website at http://www.npower.com/priorityservices and complete the online registration form, or simply give us a call on 0800 073 3000 or on 0330 100 3000.
If you tell us English is not your first language, we can talk to you in any language with the aid of a translator. You can ask someone to call us on your behalf to tell us that you need to speak in your preferred language.
Need this information in an alternative format?
If you require information in large print, Braille or audio CD, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0800 073 3000* from a landline or mobile, or 0800 413 016* from a minicom/textphone and we’ll do all we can to help.
*Phone calls: We may monitor and/or record calls for security, quality or training purposes. Calling us on an 0800 or 0808 number should be free from all mobiles and generally free from all landlines. Calls to 0330 numbers will cost you no more than 01 or 02 numbers from landlines or mobiles. If you get ‘inclusive minutes’ with your package, calls to 0330 numbers will be part of these. The cost of calls to other companies or organisations may vary, please check with them and your provider for exact charges.
npower is a registered trademark and is the trading name of Npower Limited (Registered No. 3653277), Npower Gas Limited (Registered No. 2999919), Npower Northern Limited (Registered No. 3432100) who also act as an agent for Npower Northern Supply Limited (Registered No. 2845740) for the supply of electricity, Npower Yorkshire Limited (Registered No. 3937808) who also act as an agent for Npower Yorkshire Supply Limited (Registered No. 4212116) for the supply of electricity. All registered in England and Wales. Registered Offices: Windmill Hill Business Park, Whitehill Way, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN5 6PB.