Are your family Carbon Monoxide Aware?

Would you know what to do if you discovered a carbon monoxide leak at home? Could you recognise the most common symptoms of CO poisoning? Can you say, hand-on-heart, that your home is fitted with a working carbon monoxide detector?

Our annual carbon monoxide report shows that millions of people up-and-down the country aren’t safeguarding themselves and their loved ones against the risks of CO poisoning. Take a look at the worrying stats – and find out how you can protect your family from CO – below.

UK carbon monoxide awareness: the results are in

3 steps to protect your family from CO poisoning

Detect

The most effective way to avoid CO poisoning is having a working carbon monoxide detector in place to alert you of any leaks right away.

Diagnose

Get to know the symptoms of CO poisoning. The most common things you need to keep an eye out for are dizziness, nausea, tiredness, difficulty breathing headaches and stomach pain.

Do something

If you think someone might be suffering from CO poisoning – stop using appliances, open the windows, evacuate the building, report the leak by calling the National Grid helpline on 0800 111 999 and go to the hospital right away.