We're restarting Smart meter appointments
These unprecedented times have changed the way we live and many of us are spending more time at home, with an increase in the energy we are using. Smart meters give you more control of you bills - see how much energy you’re using through the Smart energy display to help spot how you could save energy.
Smart appointments and coronavirus - things we need to know
- Is anyone self-isolating at your home?
- Does anyone in your home have any underlying health issues, or do you believe they/you are at an increased risk should they/you contract coronavirus?
- Has anyone tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) in the last four weeks?
We want to ensure that both you and our meter operatives are kept safe, so if the answer is yes to any of the above, please contact us before your appointment.
Smart installations - what to expect on the day
The health and safety of our customers and employees is important to us. When our meter operatives install Smart meters, they work to government safety recommendations and follow social distancing and hygiene guidelines. For example:
- They’ll complete your install following social distancing measures. They will only enter your property where they need to do so, for example if your meters are located inside or to carry out a gas safety check. This may mean they ask you to move to another room in the house to ensure they are following the two-metre rule.
- They’ll follow hygiene guidelines (regular hand washing and use of alcohol hand sanitiser).
- Where appropriate, they'll wear protective clothing and they will also wipe down any areas that they come into contact with.
- Between installations they will sanitise their equipment.
- They’ll constantly review their own well-being according to government guidance.
- They won’t visit you if government guidance suggests they should be self-isolating.
- They'll call you before arriving at your property, just to ensure that nothing has changed with your circumstances.
What can Smart meters mean for you?
- More control of your bills
- Automatic meter readings – more accurate bills and no more estimates**
- We aim to fit the latest version of Smart meters – these are also known as SMETS2 meters, and they should carry on working, even if you change supplier*
* Our meter operatives always try to install the latest generation Smart meters, called SMETS2 meters. If there are technical issues when they try to install your SMETS2 meter, they will discuss your options with you.
**Unless there's a problem collecting a reading