Landlords, letting agents and housing associations

It's easy to tell us when there’s someone moving in or out of a property. It's helpful to give us around 2 days notice and have the following information to hand:

  • The new tenants details
    I've let my tenants know I'll be providing this information on their behalf, and they haven't objected.
  • Any gaps in the tenancy
    as the landlord you're responsible for the energy during this period
  • The previous occupiers or tenants details
    Including their forwarding address

Alternatively if you would prefer to call us:

0800 316 8558 Landlines

0330 100 8658 Mobiles

Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, Saturday from 8am to 6pm

View call charge information

Got a prepayment meter

You'll need to call us. We will need to know the meter serial number and any credit or debit on the meter.