We can offer free services including help with your communication, safety and access needs. You may be eligible to register for Priority Services if you or someone in your household is of pensionable age, disabled, has a long term illness or if there are children in the property.
We also recognise that you might need extra support because of life changing events such as a relationship breakdown, losing a job, a bereavement, or if you’re affected by a short-term illness.
Our Priority Services include:
- Alternative format communications – receive bills and correspondence in Braille, large print or audio CD.
- Password scheme – when we call or visit, we can use a password of your choice to verify our identity.
- Nominate someone to act for you – with your permission a friend, carer or relative can deal with all aspects of your account.
- Third-party correspondence – get copies of your bills and correspondence sent to a friend, carer or relative.
- Interpreter service – can be arranged when you call if English isn’t your preferred or first language.
- Minicom (textphone) – communicate by textphone to enable easier contact with us.
- Regular meter reads – a free meter read service if you, and everyone in your household, can’t read your meter.
- Free prepayment meter move – if you or anyone in your household are unable to safely access your meter (eligibility criteria applies).
- Knock and wait – gives you more time to answer the door if we visit.
- Free gas safety check – to check your gas appliances are working safely (eligibility criteria applies).
- Support for power loss or power interruption* – if you add an alternative contact, such as a friend, carer or relative, they will be contacted to alert you about the power loss as well.
*There are lots of ways the distribution network operator can help, from providing you with a direct dial number to keep you informed to tailored support such as home visits or finding you alternative accommodation in an emergency situation. The support depends on your individual household circumstances, the local team and the type of situation.
The Priority Services promise
The Priority Services promise is made by all participating energy companies in England, Wales and Scotland. We promise to only share your details, as agreed with you, with our trusted partners or parties, to help us to provide services which meet your extra communication, access or safety needs.
Free gas safety check
We can give you a free yearly check on your gas appliances if you're eligible and haven’t had one in the last 12 months. It doesn't replace the need for regular servicing, but gives you extra peace of mind.
To be eligible, you need:
And either you:
- live in a household where at least one of the occupants is under five years old; or
- are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick and either you:
- live alone; or
- live with others who are all either of pensionable age, or disabled, or chronically sick or under 18 years