Step 1: Let us know what’s wrong

Get in touch with our Customer Services Team to give us the opportunity to put it right.

When complete our response to any complaint about our service to you, our products or failure to meet the required standards in our sales and marketing will include an apology, explanation, remedial/corrective action we’ve taken and/or financial compensation in appropriate circumstances. We’ll also let you know what we have done to put things right.

You can call us on

0800 316 9328 (select option 1)

Speech or hearing impaired customers can put 18001 in front of our phone number to use text relay at no extra cost. You can find out more on the Relay UK website.

View call charge information

Or tell us online or write to us

Make a complaint online

Complaints Team, npower, PO Box 177, Houghton-le-Spring, DH4 9AQ

Step 2: What happens next

Many issues can be resolved straight away, if its going to take any longer we’ll pass your complaint to one of our specialist teams. We aim to resolve most complex complaints within 28 working days and we’ll keep you updated on progress throughout.

Step 3: If you're still unhappy

If you remain unhappy or we haven’t been able to resolve your complaint, our Specialist Complaints Team will refer your complaint to our Customer Relations Team for review.

We will review all the actions we’ve taken to resolve your complaint. We’ll then contact you to discuss our final position. You can contact our Customer Relations Team using the details below.

0800 316 9328 (option 2)

Customer Relations Team, npower, PO Box 177, Houghton-le-Spring, DH4 9AQ

Speech or hearing impaired customers can put 18001 in front of our phone number to use text relay at no extra cost. You can find out more on the Relay UK website.

Alternatively, if you bought your energy online, you could use the Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) Platform to try to settle the dispute by completing the online form. Please do not do this until you have followed our internal complaints process as set out above. As part of the ODR process we need to agree with you which dispute resolution body needs to hear your complaint. If we cannot agree then your complaint will not be processed further - please see the site for more information.

Ombudsman Services: Energy

If you’ve received our Final Position letter or we haven’t been able to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks, you have the right to take your complaint to Ombudsman Services: Energy. They offer a free and impartial service to gas and electricity consumers. Following an investigation, the Ombudsman can recommend ways to resolve the problem which you can either accept or reject. If you accept their decision, we will then follow their recommendation.

The types of resolution include an apology, explanation, corrective action and financial compensation in appropriate circumstances.

Please note the Ombudsman Services: Energy will not consider your case unless you have followed our complaints process.

You can contact them:

0330 440 1624

or, if you have hearing or speech difficulties and use a minicom or textphone, you can contact

0330 440 1600

Ombudsman Services: Energy, PO Box 966, Warrington WA4 9DF

Independent advice

The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues and can be contacted at any stage during your complaint.

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer service.

Or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline 0808 223 1133 (if you have hearing or speech difficulties and use a minicom or textphone, you can contact 18001 0808 223 1133), or contact them by webform. And if you’d like to better understand your rights as an energy consumer, you can read the ‘Know your rights’ leaflet. This has been produced independently by Consumer Futures in partnership Citizens Advice and Citizens Advice Scotland.

Email our director

As one of our customers you are very important to us. We know we don’t always get it right at times when you need us the most, and our team are working hard to improve the service we deliver. If you have feedback on the way that your complaint has been handled, our Customer Services Director, Chris Thewlis, would very much like to hear from you.

Please feel free to email him and his team at:

Portrait of Chris Thewlis

Customer service

Help things to go smoothly by doing the following

  • It’s important that you continue to pay for your energy use and contact us immediately if you don’t agree with the amount on your bill.
  • Provide meter readings when requested so that you pay the right amount for the energy you use. That way you’ll avoid estimated bills which can lead to a build-up of credit or debit. The easiest way to provide your meter readings is to tell us online. If your meter is being read by one of our representatives, allow them reasonable access if needed.
  • If you have a prepayment meter, top up regularly so that your prepayment meter remains in credit. Even in the summer months when you might not use much energy, a standing charge still applies.
  • If you’re finding it difficult to pay your energy bill, please get in touch. There are various ways we can help, such as agreeing for your bill to be paid in manageable instalments, or by having a prepayment meter fitted, if it is safe and reasonably practicable to do so.
  • If you’re moving and we’re the supplier of your current or new home, tell us you're moving.
  • If you think your meter has developed a fault or if you can smell gas, call the National Grid emergency number 0800 111 999 immediately.
  • In the event of a power cut, check to see if it's just you. If it's your neighbours too you can contact your local network operator by calling 105.
  • Do you think you may need extra help or support? Our Priority Services may be able to help to support your communication, safety and access needs. If you’re eligible you can choose to join our Priority Service Register free of charge. We want to provide the right support for you and your household when it comes to your energy account. You can find out more and register by completing the online registration form, or calling us on 0800 073 3000 or on 0330 100 3000.

Interpreting services

If you tell us English is not your first language, we can talk to you in any language with the aid of a translator. You can ask someone to call us on your behalf to tell us that you need to speak in your preferred language.

Need this information in an alternative format?

If you require information in large print, Braille or audio CD, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0800 073 3000. Speech or hearing impaired customers can put 18001 in front of our phone number to use text relay at no extra cost. You can find out more on the Relay UK website.

More in this section 

Annual complaints report Complaints performance
Elderly gentleman on the phone

Need more help?

To get you to the right person faster, please have your account number handy when you contact us. If you've been told your account has moved - or is now moving - to E.ON Next, please contact E.ON Next with any questions.