Topping up credit
Once you've activated your new key or card, you can buy credit at PayPoint, Payzone and Post Office outlets to top up your meter. You’ll find a list of your nearest outlets in the letter we sent you with your key or card. Or you can check online:
To top up your credit, take your key or card to an outlet.
- The credit you buy will be added to your key or card
- You can put up to £49 on your card at a time, in whole pounds
- You can have up to £249 credit on your gas meter, and £255 credit on your electricity meter
Always buy credit for your meter using your own npower programmed payment key or card to make sure the money is credited to your account. If you use a key or card from a previous supplier, the money you pay may not be credited to your npower account. You could be charged the wrong rates and your payments may go to the wrong supplier. Only top up at an authorised outlet and never buy credit from anyone visiting your home.
Transferring credit to your meter
Simply insert your payment card into the slot in the meter. Press the Red Button A to transfer your credit to your meter.
If your meter display says 'OFF', you might need to open the safety valve to get your gas back on. The valve will close for safety reasons when your meter runs out of credit.
To open the safety valve:
- Make sure all your gas appliances are switched off
- Insert your card into your meter
- Press and hold the red button A
- You’ll hear a beep. The safety valve will open and the meter display will change to 'ON'. Your gas supply will now be back on and your credit will be on the meter.
Insert your payment key into your meter. The screen will briefly show the amount of credit on your key. To make sure your credit is transferred onto your meter successfully, we recommend you leave your key in for at least 5 seconds.