What to do if you are being affected by carbon monoxide

What to do if you suspect you may be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning

If you or your family experience any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and believe CO may be involved, seek urgent medical advice from either your GP or an A&E department. Ask for a blood and/or breath test to confirm the presence of CO, which will show up as high levels of carboxyhaemoglobin –30% or more is considered very dangerous. It’s important to do this quickly, CO leaves the blood fast and tests may not be accurate more than four hours after exposure.

Although mild carbon monoxide poisoning may not need hospital treatment, more severe cases could require 100% oxygen through a mask until levels improve.

What to do if you think there is a carbon monoxide leak

  • Switch off the appliance (find out more about potential carbon monoxide sources) and do not turn it back on until you’re told it’s safe by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • If you can, shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve. If carbon monoxide gas continues to escape call National Grid on the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999
  • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room. Do not sleep in it
  • Visit your GP urgently and tell them that you believe your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning. Your GP should advise a blood and/or breath sample be taken

Contact our Home Services Team on 0800 980 2122* to arrange for one of our Gas Safe registered engineers to visit (service available in most areas of Great Britain).

*We may monitor and/or record calls for security, quality or training purposes. Calling us on an 0800 number should be free from all mobiles and generally free from all landlines.

Next: Tenants and landlord advice