Feed in tariffs

Generating your own electricity

Am I eligible for Feed in Tariffs?

  • If you have installed the following technology:
    • Anaerobic Digestion
    • Hydro
    • PV
    • Wind
    • CHP (Less than 2kW)
  • If you have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at level D or above.
  • If your system is less than 50kW, you have used an MCS installer, using MCS products and have a valid MCS certificate.
  • If your system is above 50kW, you have a been accredited by Ofgem and have a ROO-FIT Accreditation number
  • If you have an approved generation meter
  • If your have had a grant towards the cost of your installation, you have sought appropriate advice about whether it needs to be paid back.

How Feed in Tariff’s work

Under the Feed in Tariff you will receive a payment for the energy you make or ‘generate’, as well as a payment for the electricity you do not use and sell or ‘export’ to the local electricity grid. What's more, you can even save by using your generated electricity onsite, energy which you would have otherwise had to buy or ‘import’ from your supplier.

How much will I receive?

  • The amount you will receive for the amount generated will depend upon the type and size of technology you have installed please see the generation table in our FAQ’s to see which tariff applies to you.
  • The guaranteed export price is set at 3.2p per unit exported. If you have a system over 500kW, please contact us to see whether we can negotiate a power purchase agreement.
  • Metering requirements – If your system is less than 30kW, you do not need an export meter, we will estimate that you will use 50% of the energy you generate within your property and export the remaining 50% on to the electricity network.

How do I apply?

Please read the following information provided in the links below:

To apply for the Feed in Tariff, please complete the application form and declarations and return (together with supporting documents) to:

FiT Admin Team
Bridgwater Road

Please note: The date that you become eligible to receive FIT Payments is the day we receive your full application. For your FIT application to be valid, you must include all supporting documentation and a valid meter reading. A valid meter reading is a generation meter reading taken during the last 5 days. If you submit an older meter reading, your application will not be valid and we will contact you to reapply.
If you have any questions, please contact our FIT Admin Team on 0800 048 0520 or 0330 100 7567 from a mobile. Alternatively you can contact us by email on microgeneration@npower.com.

Where can I find out further information?

  • To find out basic and impartial information on technologies, suitability and FITs contact the Energy Saving trust on 0800 512 012 or visit energysavingtrust.org.uk
  • To find a list of MCS products and installers, contact the Microgeneration Certification Scheme on 020 7090 1082 or visit microgenerationcertification.org
  • For a list of FIT Licensees or to find out about ROO-FIT Accreditation, contact Ofgem on 020 7901 7310 or visit ofgem.gov.uk
  • For information on FITs policy please contact DECC on 0300 060 4000 or visit Department of Energy Climate Change

How do I complain about the Feed in Tariff?

If you have any complaints regarding the way we administer the Feed in Tariff scheme, please refer to the link below.

npower solar

To find out more about npower solar call us on

0800 975 3199